University of Winchester
Doing a literature review: How to find and make sense of published research
This guide is designed to help you to:
- understand how to use other people’s writing to inform your own research;
- develop a strategy for carrying out a search of the literature;
- organise the themes logically;
- evaluate the research you read;
- think about the features of a reflective literature review and explore how to achieve this in practice.
This MESHGuide draws on a range of key literature in the field of social science research. Also its design has been informed by lessons learned from personal research, which has focussed on the following areas:
- developing effective collaborative learning in science
- factors influencing learning through play in the early years
- student teachers’ engagement with research and its impact on their developing practice
- constructivist informed practice in science within initial teacher education
- creativity in learning and teaching.